Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 2 April 2018
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Support the National FOP PAC
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Senior Advisor to the National President, Jim Pasco:
- Spoke with Danielle Cutrona, Counsel to U.S. Attorney General Jefferson B. Sessions III, regarding bump stocks and other criminal justice issues;
- Spoke with Steve H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding the planning and implementation of National Police Week;
- Spoke with various officials at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security regarding the lack of outreach and poor information sharing among stakeholders.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson met with staff on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to discuss the FOP’s legislative proposal to improve health care options for law enforcement officers disabled in the line of duty and for the families of those who are killed in the line of duty.
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Mike Martin:
- Represented the FOP at a law enforcement stakeholder meeting with staff in the office of Senator Thomas R. Tillis (R-NC) to discuss law enforcement concerns regarding efforts to reform the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA);
- Spoke with staff in the office of Senator Sherrod C. Brown (D-OH) regarding proposed legislation;
- Spoke with staff in the office of Senator Joseph S. Donnelly (D-IN) regarding funding for the implantation of the Law Enforcement Mental Health and Wellness Act;
- Spoke with staff in the office of Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) regarding reauthorization for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS).
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks
- Met with staff in the office of Representative Robert M. Pittenger (R-NC) to discuss pending legislation on the collection of beneficial ownership information and law enforcement efforts to combat fraud, money laundering, and other financial crimes;
- Spoke with Sam Fastow with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children regarding future collaboration with law enforcement.
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
Congress was not in session this week.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
For the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
We have 176 cosponsors on H.R. 1205.
We have 22 cosponsors on S. 915.
B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 38 cosponsors on H.R. 964.
We have 6 cosponsors on S. 424.
C. Support H.R. 4846, the “Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act”
We have 32 cosponsors on H.R. 4846.
V. Support the National FOP PAC
It is crucial to our political agenda we keep our PAC competitive with other organizations.
If you want more information on the PAC or want to sign up for a $5.00 monthly recurring contribution, please email or call (202)547-8189.