Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 26 February 2018
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Support the National FOP PAC
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITYSenior Advisor to the National President, Jim Pasco:
- Spoke with Thomas E. Brandon, Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), regarding firearms and cigarette regulation;
- Spoke with Steven H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding active shooters;
- Spoke with Jennifer L. Korn, Special Assistant to the President, regarding the Administration’s criminal justice policy
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson and Legislative Liaison Michael Martin met with staff in the office of Senator Amy J. Klobuchar (D-MN) to discuss FOP legislative priorities.Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks met with staff in the office of Representative Steve Knight (R-CA) to discuss making it a Federal offense to target law enforcement for violence.Legislative Liaison Martin:
- Represented the FOP on a conference call held by Rep. Stephen T. Knight (R-CA) titled, “How to Prevent School Shootings”;
- Met with staff in the office of Rep. John L. Ratcliffe (R-TX) to discuss FOP legislative priorities;
- With National Sergeant-at-Arms Keith Turney represented the FOP at the “Collaborative Reform Initiative Technical Assistance Center (CRI-TAC) Partner Kickoff Meeting” with the IACP.
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
Action in the HouseThe House considered and passed H.R. 1865, the “Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act” by a 388-25 vote. The FOP supported this legislation.
Action in House CommitteesThe Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health, held a hearing titled: “Combating the Opioid Crisis: Helping Communities Balance Enforcement and Patient Safety.”
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIESFor the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”Two additional lawmakers have co-sponsored H.R. 1205, bringing the total to 176.We have 20 co-sponsors on S. 915.B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”Three additional lawmakers have co-sponsored H.R. 964, bringing the total to 37.We have 6 co-sponsors on S. 424.
C. Support H.R. 4846, the “Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act”Six additional lawmakers have cosponsored H.R. 4846, bringing the total to 16.
IV. Support the National FOP PACIt is crucial to our political agenda we keep our PAC competitive with other organizations.If you want more information on the PAC or want to sign up for a $5.00 monthly recurring contribution, please email or call (202)547-8189.